Friday, September 19, 2008

Back to the Basics on the Farm




Back to the Barn, back to the hoe and back to homesteading. Everything is still so green and my standard gardenia tree is budding and blooming again! That is exciting news. The aroma is so heavy and rich...like some haute cuisine that I could never replicate. A flower is on the table next to me and I almost have to put a lid on it to get things accomplished.

Now is the time you are so glad you planted dahlias because they are so happy faced, in bloom, looking over the slowed down, tired plants around them. The cannas are standing so tall and triumpant next to them. They are gallanting guarding off the cooler weather. Standing so tall and valiant even though it is September. Sometimes we don't get a killer frost until the end of October. Other times it's the first or second week of October.

The rose hips are orange now and as I pinch them only one little precious seeds slips out. Life is a miracle I am reminded. Our house is turning into a seed vault. Little papers here and there full of seeds from the garden.

My Dad came over to help mow and nicely shaved off my row of hostas and the row of daylilies behind it. Gardening 101 and show and tell is scheduled. Actually I don't have the heart to tell him. Thankfully these perennials will recover with a little extra fertilizer.

My brother came to help with the chainsaw on a large fallen tree. He was wearing loose kahki shorts and when he was making sure he was keeping the chainsaw away from everything else it caught on the edge of his shorts which pulled the saw into his leg. These machines are unforgiving and we are glad for the little extra that our body stores under the skin (also known as fat) that saved it from going into the muscle.

All the fall bulbs are now in at our Costco. I stopped and looked and looked, but did not put any in my cart. Maybe soon. The tall alliums are at the top of my list again this year. Many of us stop to look over this towering display of every bulb imaginable. Especially since some are not hardy in our area.

I overheard one man telling his wife, "Just pick out what you want, honey. Get as many as you want and what we don't plant we can give away." At this point I had to turn around to see if this was a real living male species. It was and he was before my eyes and I thought we should clone this man. To make it more surprising the wife couldn't make up her mind and here the whole spring array was before her eyes.

This sweet female holstein calf could be mine. I gave $1. raffle for it at the fair and I believe they draw tomorrow. Cattle have this unusual trait that when calf twins are born and one is a male and the other is a female, the female is always sterile. So really it's a gamble to buy a female calf at any livestock auction not knowing if it was a twin or not. They usually sell for about $500. for a female day old or 2 day old calf.

No comments: