Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Tasha Tudor - June 17, 2008

Tasha Tudor passed away in her home today in Vermont.

I first got a glimpse into Tasha's homestead life through the Victoria magazine. The pictures made you linger and Tasha's spunkiness and humor made you smile. She was living a glorious life in the country with her many pets, gardens, fresh eggs and homemade candles. More magazine articles appeared and a book about her was published. Yet that was just the beginning of learning about her vast talent. Her hands and words could spin and weave beauty like no other could.

Tasha's clothes were simply stunning and many items were knit or woven by her very own hands. Everything about her made you think about a different era...a simpler time where hard work was always rewarded with joy and laughter...where dreams were reality. My mother always said I was born about 100 years too late. Here in my day Tasha was living like I could only dream of living when I first read and reread those glossy pages with plump corgies on the kitchen floor near the stove.

I heard the saying once that "Happiness is homemade". That pretty sums up Tasha's lifestyle and the happiness she made for herself and for so many others. She gave me more courage than she will ever know as an artist. Paint with passion. We are thankful her children carry on her vision and our sympathy is with them during this time.

No comments: