Friday, February 12, 2010

Pretty Vintage White Dresses and Costumes


Polonaise. I didn't know the meaning of the word until today. One is pictured above from the 1800's. Lots of details, but in simple white fabric. I think I might like one. It is a beautiful white dress worn over a long black skirt or a white skirt. There were strings hidden underneath that were pulled to form this nice gathering of fabric in the back. I love the cuffs on the sleeves. This overdress was popular in American from 1869-1875.

There is such a wealth of costume information on the web. A great wealth of inspiration for dollmakers to venture out a bit with their dress designs. (I'm speaking to myself here.) Did you know there is a costume society of america? They have a wonderful website. Also the Smithsonian Museums here in Washington D.C. have a costume collection.


All we have been seeing is white designs outside of our windows. This is little tiny footprints on top of the snow. Every little impression make a pattern. It won't be long before we will be bringing out our linen clothes...or sewing some new linen skirts or blouses.

No comments: