Thursday, January 8, 2009

Florida Resort Gardens: Landscaping and Hardscaping






This is a portion of a garden at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club where we received excellent service. I recommend this resort to anyone going to Orlando to see the many attractions. Disney World, Sea World to name a few. Many international tourists were guests, too. The resort is on 34 acres and are beautifully landscaped. Formal lines around the main buildings and semi formal and curving other places. It was great to see grasses incorporated into some gardens. All are highlighted at night with lights in strategic areas.

The roses in the first photo are Knock Out roses. We did see them quite often in Orlando and Tampa.


I noticed Florida crepe myrtle trees looked exactly like ours in Maryland...leafless. I thought their leaves would stay on year round in warmer climates. Fortunately I was able to bring crepe myrtle seeds home to add to my ever increasing seed collection. One day my husband asked for kleenex and the only one I could find in my purse was the one that had seeds nicely secured in it. In humor he moaned, "We could not lose the seeds now: Could we?" Fortunately someone else came to the rescue. He is used to finding unidentified seeds in our refrigerator, in the pantry, in a shoebox. All very safe smart places for a gardener.

No comments: